Pages

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Discovering Winnipeg food, wine and more


As a former waitress and self-proclaimed foodie, I consider myself to be #plugged into the Winnipeg restaurant scene. I frequent hip and new restaurants whenever I can.  Quite frankly, I would rather spend my hard-earned cash by enjoying a romantic evening with my lover or a fun night with my girlfriends at a restaurant than at a hockey game, for example.

I should also mention that it helps that my boyfriend’s family invites me to their Friday night restaurant outings. How could you decline a chance to enjoy good company and good food?  Well, I can’t and I don’t which has contributed to my deep appreciation for divine restaurant food.

Gastronomy is the art of food eating. I LOVE discovering new foods, new wines, new food eating rituals and I must admit, I am quite envious of food bloggers and food critics who are paid to devour delicious foods, wines and more.

Out of all the global cuisines, I would deem the Spanish cuisine to be my favorite. I first developed my appreciation for tapas during a trip with my boyfriend to Barcelona. We randomly stumbled upon a tapas restaurant, they had a seat at the bar, and this is where the magic began. We got to taste a variety of foods, bacon wrapped dates, seafood, olives, etc. It was delightful.

 













When we returned to Winnipeg, we discovered Segovia Tapas Bar and Restaurant. They opened their doors on Stradbrook avenue in November 2009 and they were recently ranked as being of one of Canada’s Top 50 restaurants.

I absolutely agree with these critics and I would even state that Segovia Tapas Bar and Restaurant is the BEST restaurant in Winnipeg.  I am not an expert foodie, but I’ve been to tapas restaurants in Winnipeg, Montréal and Minneapolis and not one of them can compete with Segovia.

Credit: Urbanspoon


I also cherish my visits to Segovia because of its relaxing ambiance. When I go with my boyfriend, we always enjoy discussing what we liked and didn’t like about each dish by rating them.  We often agree, but sometimes our ratings are completely off.

Some of the best tapas at Segovia, I would say are: the patatas bravas, the bison tartare, the scallops with cauliflower purée and I couldn’t end this list without mentioning the smoked duck risotto.

My last visit was in December 2012 and I’m already planning my tapas line-up for my next visit. Here’s a few dishes I would love to try at Segovia:


1. Baharat Spiced Oxtail, Flatbread, Maple Tzatziki, Kale
2. Arctic Char a La Plancha, Bacon, Creamed Leeks, Romesco Sauce
3. Seared Scallops, Sun Choke Puree, Pickled Apples, Foie Gras Torchon
4. Confit Rabbit, Savoy Cabbage, Fine Herbs, Mustard Seed Labneh



Just thinking about these dishes is making me drool. I feel like Homer when he dreams of eating mountains of donuts.

One word: Delicioso

If you still haven’t tried Segovia, you must put it on your bucket list. You will not regret it.

Segovia, you are my one true restaurant love and I will miss you dearly when I move to Montréal.

#pluggedingal  #gastronomyrocks  #segoviaesmuydelicioso

No comments:

Post a Comment